Gloria Richardson pushes a national guard bayonet out of her face during a 1963 civil rights protest in Maryland.
(Source: clintisiceman, via alphaqueer)
1. I can’t get up at the crack of dawn to carpe fucking diem because I’m out five nights a week chasing laughter and the moonlight.
2. I don’t want to wake up feeling comfortable. Fuck comfort. I want to wake up and know I’ve woken up, I want to feel my life as it happens and if that means a throbbing headache, so be it; I’d rather dance in the dark than under a rainbow.
3. Eat whatever you want, idiots.
4. My breakfast happens at 1pm and I’d like to read whilst I eat it, thankyou very much.
5. I don’t need to stretch, nor do I need to reach for the sky; I am not a member of S Club 7 and my head is already in the clouds.
6. Drink all the water your body needs, put a chopped up lemon in your bottle but never neglect iced tea and vodka - whatever your poison, indulge yourself in it sometimes. Striving for perfection in any aspect of your life is just going to disappoint you; have a shot every now and then.
7. If you’re living life, you might not have time to write down your activities until four in the morning. Your life record may be scribbled onto receipts as you ride the train. That’s okay too; it doesn’t have to be beautiful to be valid.
8. Sleep on a pile of towels if you have to. Sleep in the grass. Sleep at a new friends’ place every night. As long as you’re sleeping next to something you love - whether it be a partner or the latest Palahniuk - scented fabric softener won’t mean shit.
9. Chaos can be better sometimes.
10. Run into the ocean instead.
11. You don’t owe strangers your smile. You don’t owe nature your observation. Maybe you don’t have a dog to walk.
12. Don’t make plans you can’t follow through with, it’s unfair.
14. Fuck it. Pick up a book because you liked the cover. Pick up a book because the person before you left it behind. Scribble all over it if you want. Tear pages out and cut out words if you want. Pick up no books for a month, then ten in a day. Books will always be there.
15. Be yourself without imposing cliched values and movie-romance ideas onto your personality. Do what comes naturally. If you don’t want to pay your speeding fines, don’t fucking pay them, it’s your life. If you don’t like old people, don’t go and volunteer at their homes, you’ll only make everyone there miserable. Find your true bliss rather than assuming you’ll know what it is by sticking your tongue out at babies. You’ll get there, there’s no rush.
16. Don’t fucking daydream about it. Do it. Write your own ending. —
Fuck Your ‘Sixteen Small Steps to Happiness’, love Daisy Lola (via meatandsarcasmguy)
I like this one infinitely better
(Source: iloveyoulessthanpunk, via nataliemeansnice)
TRY TO LEAVE FLORIDA.
God I love this.
Friendly reminder: erasure is not equality.
couldn’t be truer.
(Source: superqueerartsyblog, via yummygrapefruit)
It makes me so conflicted when gay dudes say they hate the gay community. Because on the one hand, you’ve got people who are trying to raise important points about that community and its lack of inclusion of POC/people of size/basically anyone who doesn’t look like a GQ model––which is a really dead-on criticism. The gay community has really underrepresented gay men who don’t look like Neil Patrick Harris and Zachary Quinto.
But on the other hand, gay dudes are also saying they don’t like the gay community because it’s full of feminine men. And… how is this helping us gain equal rights/representation/safety as cishets? It’s not. The intolerance of other gay men is dividing an already suffering community of men who can’t accept themselves. If we can’t turn to each other for acceptance and understanding, who are we going to turn to?
And therein lies the problem of attacking the gay community for merely existing and including people whose gender performance you don’t agree with. We wouldn’t have Stonewall, GLAAD, LOGO, the repeal of DADT, or any places to congregate period without those feminine, outspoken men. They are the ones who put themselves on the line in the 70s for our right to exist in the mainstream. I don’t know if too much time has passed since then or if gay men are just uninterested in learning about their history––but nobody with these criticisms seems to want to acknowledge that they owe their identity to feminine gay men.
Some gay men have evolved into this version of straightness––and society is gobbling that shit up. Even other gay men are gobbling that shit up. Some gay men would have you believe they want to lead completely heterosexual lives (with the exception that they openly sleep with men). This gives them the right to fit into the same box as cishets… but leaves the rest of us in dirt.
Fellow gay men who attack the gay community for its sissy roots aren’t actually trying to change anything. They’re trying to fit in to the already fucked up and homophobic system (with the exception of fighting for marriage equality).
I want no part in a gay community that doesn’t honor and accept its sissy roots and current sissy peers. Along those same lines, I don’t want to be a part of a gay community that excludes men based on any gender performance, race, color, religion––WHATEVER. Guys, it’s hard enough we have to battle very strong, oppressive forces in our government and media––we shouldn’t have to fight each other, too.
spring/summer 1999: lordbape: shine0ncrazy: lordbape: time periods in american history... -
time periods in american history when the majority of white people were right about the racism people of color were facing and knew more about racism than the people of color that were actually facing it:
- literally never
- this has not ever happened
- the overwhelming majority white people have always been wrong about racism throughout the entirety of american history and this is still the case
I’m not justifying when slavery in America was occurring but I hate the fact so many people think “white people” are the only race that has used slave labor or prejudiced another race. Slavery goes back to before America was founded and is still unfortunately happening in Africa. There plenty of people in the world that don’t treat or think kindly of other races besides white people.
Bitch this post isn’t about slavery it’s about right now… Where the fuck in this post does it say slavery you basic fuck? I’m talking about all this shit that’s happening today.. Only a dumb white bitch would think that poor racial conditions refer to fucking slavery while ignoring all this shit that followed it and that is happening right now. Stay the fuck off my posts and go to hell
This is the shit I’m talking about you basic fuck, this is today, 2013.
- Saudi student is literally surrounded by FBI for cooking rice under terrorist suspicions
NYPD allows twin brothers beaten almost to death’s case to close because they assumed because they were Black that it was gang violence when they were attacked by 11 white men as a hate crime
- White people literally can not associate positive words with Black faces because of racism
- More white people use drugs but Black people are sent to jail for drugs at 10 times the rate that white people are
- Black people who “sound Black” earn less money than those who don’t because of associations with stereotypes. Black people who “sound Black” are less likely to get called back for jobs
- Black children grow up literally associating being Black with being bad and ugly
- White people when tested shot more unarmed Black subjects than armed and unarmed white subjects
- Hate crimes increase after Boston tragedy
- Moroccan High School Student is linked to Boston tragedy for being Brown
- Bangladeshi man is beaten by people out of racism
- NYPD Commissioner wants Black and Latino men to fear him after the police targeted literally 90 percent Black and Latino men in New York and humiliating them by frisking them in public under the assumption that they had weapons. Studies found that white men were the ones who overwhelmingly had weapons while Black and Latino men didn’t
- White people blaming and convicting Black men for crimes they never committed and everyone believing them because of racism
- Stop and Frisk, ruled unconstitutional was practiced by New York police disproportionately and unfairly affecting 90% Black and Latino men because of racism
- Universities throwing racist ‘Fiesta Party’ homogenizing culture with extreme racism
- Here are some of the numbers on hate crimes against People of Color and btw, Neo Naziism is increasing!
- Every 28 Hours an African American is Extrajudicially Murdered in the U.S.
- Black people 3 times more likely to be arrested for Marijuana
- Black people receive much harsher sentencing than white people for the same crimes do I need to go on?
- Deaf Black man is stabbed out of racism when his sign language is mistaken for a GANG SIGN
- Anti-Islam posters run free on the train to reinforce racism anti-Islamic sentiments and Islamaphobia
- Oops! Chicago police raids the wrong house, holds an 11 month old at gunpoint to raise their hand, kills their dog all because of racism and assuming it was a crackhouse! Oopsies
- Let’s take it overseas! Black people in England and Wales are 7 times more likely to be stopped by police than white people. Asian people are twice as likely
- People assuming Native american baby names are actually Native and have any meaning to any ethnic group when they don’t
- Here’s a whole collection of people saying racist stereotyping homogenizing disgusting stuff about Natives
- People protesting (Idle No More) defending Native people’s humanity are attacked with violence
- White kids think it’s totally okay and normal to photograph themselves lynching a Black baby doll like an effigy
- Member of the most glorified band in the world Paul McCartney made a racist white supremacist song called ‘No Pakistanis’ and everyone still glorifies him as a good person
- Racism in actual political campaign in Massachusetts against a Native runner portraying her name and image in a racist stereotypical inappropriate manner
- Indian Sikh school students protest for students who are banned from wearing their turbans in public schools in France
- Here’s a graph of the statistic that approx every 28 hours an African American is extrajudicially executed in the US
- NYPD profiling and targeting LGBT*Q People of Color
- Black students (especially boys and children with disabilities) face more and harsher punishments in public schools and are being pushed out of schools into the criminal justice system.
- Black male incarceration has jumped 500% from 1986 to 2004
- Albany police: SWAT literally uses a poor Black neighborhood to train in because they say it’s ‘realistic’
- The audio recording from a young man of color of a NYPD stop and frisking him based solely how he looks calling him a “FUCKING MUTT”
- Incarceration rates by ethnicity
- All of this fucking cultural appropriation
i’m waiting for shine0ncrazy to turn into shine0ncrazy-deactivated20130806
pick apart the day: sad-queer: non-ableist alternatives for insulting people or... -
non-ableist alternatives for insulting people or things!
please do not say “lame”
- no good
please do not say “dumb” or “stupid”
please do not say “crazy,” “psycho,” or “insane”
- out of control
feel free to add on or correct anything (ﾉ◕ヮ◕)ﾉ*:･ﾟ✧
“I’m a woman and I’m not offended by this, clearly it isn’t sexist!”
wow I didn’t realise you were the singular spokesperson for 3.5 billion people of different ages, races, religions, backgrounds, sexual orientations, social classes, and cultures, I’m so sorry
break up with your boyfriend
break up with other people’s boyfriends
no more boyfriends
“chuffed doesnt mean what you think it means”
it means exactly what i think it means its just some stupid word that literally has two definitions that mean the opposite thing
what in the shit pissing fuck
This makes me really chuffed.
This post is quite egregious
Well I’m nonplussed by this whole post.
Imagine you’re at a party. A guy offers you a drink. You say no. He says “Come on, one drink!” You say “no thanks.” Later, he brings you a soda. “I know you said you didn’t want a drink, but I was getting one for myself and you looked thirsty.” For you to refuse at this point makes you the asshole. He’s just being nice, right? Predators use the social contract and our own good hearts and fear of being rude against us. If you drink the drink, you’re teaching him that it just takes a little persistence on his part to overcome your “no.” If you say “Really, I appreciate it, but no thanks” and put the drink down and walk away from it, you’re the one who looks rude in that moment. But the fact is, you didn’t ask for the drink and you don’t want the drink and you don’t have to drink it just to make some guy feel validated. —
The art of “no,” continued: Saying no when you’ve already said yes. (via 2ition)
“Why can’t you take no for an answer?” is one of the most powerful questions you can use in a social situation: suddenly, it’s your harasser’s manners on trial, not yours. Say it in the mirror. Say it to assholes. Say it a lot. Feel awesome.
(Source: captainawkward.com, via yummygrapefruit)